Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Day In The LIfe Of.........July 17, 2011

Just got done canning 17 pints of real sweet wonderful peaches.  So goooood.  Hot outside so haven't been out today - decided to devote the day to canning.  Blanched some tomatoes earlier.  There was not enough to do any canning so skinned them and froze them.  When I have enough I will make salsa, sp. sauce, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce - that's if I get enough tomatoes.  This year for gardens has not been a good one.  No one has gotten enough fruit and vegies like we normally get in out gardens this year.  I have 6 pickling cucumber plants in the window ready to plant as the ones that are in the ground are not doing well.  I am bound and determined to get enough cucumbers to make pickles this year.  Oh, Sunday afternoon, done with the processing and now waiting for the water bath (pot containing the jars of peaches) to boil for 25 minutes - then I take lid off, turn off heat, wait 5 minutes.  Meanwhile I have towels down on the old wooden counter of my antique baking cabinet/counter.  You can see lots of rings on it from other jars cooling over the many years, before I owned it.  Out of the pot with the tongs, onto the double layers " which are the jars sealing.  A very good sound.  Then I will get out my trusty marker and date them.  Why do I love canning? It takes quite awhile but I love it.

Farmer's Home Remedies:
To help your MEMORY - Garlic can keep your mental edge sharp. Eat 1-3 cloves of garlic each day dipped in honey or chocolate.

Good Home Cookin' Recipe:
Nadine's Fried Chicken -
Dry your chicken and place it in a bowl
Crack two eggs over it and moosch the chicken around until it is thoroughly coated
Start sprinkling the chicken with flour, seasoned with salt and pepper while still in the bowl immersed in egg
Continue to adding flour until the chicken begins to get flaky
Put chicken in hot oil and ONLY TURN ONCE!!!! 
Nadine says that is the secret - ONLY TURN ONCE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment