Monday, July 11, 2011

Meetiing Our First Neighbors

Our barn (60 x 120 ft) took 3 days to build.  On the final day, it was Jan 3rd, so very cold outside.  We were staying in our large 5th wheel trailer we had brought from California.  The barn was big, light brown with a wine colored roof. It didn't have any doors on it yet.  We had three great big entrances so we would get tractors in and out. 

We had loaded up our truck and horse trailer (it has sleeping quarters) which we used for our trips back and forth as we hauled a few of our horses and some belongings.   We were headed back out to California, from whence we came only to load up this trailer and another horse trailer and start to bring out out our belongings.  

We were leaving our goose neck house trailer here in Missouri so we had a place to land when we came back.  The barn stood tall and majestic.  It was so beautiful, brand new and empty.  As it was being built, folks would drive by, slow down and take a gander at what was going on.  We are located 9 miles out of town in the sticks so it was an big curiosity for most locals.  Some folks would wave, others just slow and then drive on. 

This day as the barn stood there shiny and new and finished, an older gentleman drove up in his red pickup truck with some kind of cages in the back.  He was in his 80's.  He got out and introduced himself as the local "wolf hunter".  He said he saw the barn being built and wanted to come and introduce himself.  His name was "Junior".  He had a very strong Missouri accent. He wandered into the barn inspecting it as he walked, making complimentary comments on the construction.  I guess we passed the inspection.  He welcomed us to Missouri and to "these parts."   He then went on to tell me about the drought and how it is to dry to hunt wolves 'cause the dogs can't pick up their scent.  He filled me in on who had owned the property previously, Mr. Sam Spencer and how he was a character but liked by everyone in this "neck of the woods".  He went on to give me a short version of the history of this piece of property (80 acres with a live creek).  After about an hour, Junior shook my hand and drove off.  As I have mentioned, when you get into a conversation with these folks out here, you might as well make some coffee and kick back for while.

A short time later another pick up truck drove in, a woman hopped out.  She was in her mid 40's.  She introduced herself and said she had "been a watchin' our buildin' and looks like we were stayin'  "so she stopped by.  She filled us in on where she lived what she did, how many kids she had , what kind of farmin' they did and how she barrel races over at the Lucky J.  She asked us all the questions a curious neighbor would ask and an hour later drove off. 

Now we were packing the last of our things, filled the water in the trailer, put out cat food for a wild kitty that showed up and had started the diesel truck so it could warm up.  It was about 23 deg. outside and late in the afternoon. We wanted to get on the road.

BUT..........up drives another pickup truck with 3 folks inside.  They were out neighbors to the west. Their ranch touches our west boundary.  Gale and Dale and Gale's mother, Nadine.  They are hefty folks, very welcoming.  They shook our hands, said they had been watchin' the buildin' goin on and wanted to meet their new neighbors.  Nadine, in her 70's, about 4ft tall, big belly, permed grey hair, wearing an apron that was soiled from the garden and had a jacket on.  She didn't say much as Gale and Dale were doing most of the talkin'.  We are all standin' there talking over each other when, Nadine looked up at me and asked, "Wher you goin' to plant your mater [tomato] garden?"  I ah didn't know what to say as that was the farthest from my thoughts but she asked with such command in her voice that I felt like I was back in Catholic school answering to one of the nuns. 

I looked around quickly and pointed over to a section of the property.  She looked at it with squinting eyes and said, "that looks like a good place."  Well, I passed!  Then she said, "I raise the best maters in these parts so if you want some help I'll cum help ya."  I thanked her with proper respect and then continued my conversation, that she had interrupted, with Gale.  Then Nadine spoke, again interrupting all conversations. This time asking, "Do you like chocolate chip cookies?"  Again she got my attention with her stern serious voice.  I swallowed like a nervous 12 yr old child being questioned and said, "Of course I do."

Nadine looked up at Gale and said, "Gale I told you they like chocolate chip cookies, now you go get them some.  That is the way we welcome folks to Missouri.  I thanked her again and said we were just getting ready to make a return trip to California to begin moving our belongings. 

"Hmmmm" she said.  We again continued on with our conversations which mostly was inquiries about us, who we were, what we did, when we were going to start living here, were we planning on building a house, on and on and on.  They were getting the whole scoop so Gale could "spread the word" to the neighbors.  

almnac [Farmer's Almanac]? I panicked as I did not know what she said and I was sure I didn't have one but needed one, I guess.  I looked to Gale to help me understand what was being asked. Gale said, "Farmer's Almanac".  "Oh" I said, "No I don't."

Nadine looked up at her daughter, Gale and order her, "Gale get her one of my almnacs, I got 10 of them and gave most away but she needs one so get her one."  The orders were given, I smiled and felt I passed my first interview to enroll in "Nadine's School for Missouri housewives."

She's a dandy.  She is one you won't ever forget.  They eventually left after exchanging cell phone numbers and them telling us they will keep a watch on our place until we get moved in.  They did and reported to us on a regular basis.  Each time we returned with belongings, they would bring us some cookies, soup, homemade pie and get caught up on what we had to do and when the next trip was.  Eventually we got to the final trip (made 7 round trips)  and had given them a date we expected to arrive.  Well, when you are hauling 2 mules, 4 horses, 8 dogs, 6 cats, 16 gold fish and a parrot, the travel took a little longer.  On July 19th, the original date of arrival we got a call on our cell phone.  "Where are you?"  Dale, Gale and Nadine were worried.  Having not been able to reach us because we were in areas where there was no cell phone reception, they went over to my folks house, which was located just 5 miles down the road (we moved them out earlier from Calif.) inquiring as to what they knew about our arrival. 

They were there when we arrived 2 days later.  They had iced tea and fresh peaches ready for us.  As we unloaded the horses and mules and then began putting furniture and belongings in the barn, they brought over armloads of bed sheet to cover the mattresses and furniture with so the birds wouldn't poop on them and the dust wouldn't coat them.

I had not prepared for dust and bird poop and was very grateful.   July 21st - the first day of our new home.

I am not sure what to call these tips that I pass on so bare with me.

FARM GAL TIPS:
Nadine says, "Don't start plantin' til the Hedge trees start to bud and the wild blackberries start to bloom."  Yes, mam!  She is right.

FARM GAL RECIPE:
Succotash -
1 cn of stewed tomatoes
1 cn of green beans, drained
2 ears of fresh corn (cut the kernels off the corn and put in mixture)

Just before serving - sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
*you can also cut up some fresh zucchini and add to it.

Cook on stove top and let it simmer for about 1/2 hr.  I use my own home made stewed tomatoes and my own canned green beans.

We love it and can eat it as a whole mean - well at least I can, my hubby has to have his meat and potatoes.
THANKS FOR VISITING AND SHARING MY ADVENTURES!

No comments:

Post a Comment