Thursday, July 28, 2011

A day in the life of..................July 28, 2011

Well, it's been a few days since I posted- we had some afternoon storms come in and since we don't have DSL our here in the boonies - our satellite was not happy with the signal.  We are back working again.  Weather is still hot.  Someone asked me the other day if I was going to sell popcorn this year?  Ha!  Ya, and sun dried tomatoes and zucchini.  My maters are producing, slowly and the cucumber vines are about a foot and a half long - the ones in the house that I started are anxious to be put out - I will have to cover them with boxes for the first couple of days until they get used to the harsh summer.  Nadine, my mentor, told me, "Jest water those little boogers ever day - don't miss a day and thel be alrite."  Yes mam!.  So tomorrow - out they go. 

When I talked to her this mornin' she said she had a little adventure yesterday.  She went to town and when she got back one of the calves had gotten out under the hotwire gate and was in the yard and got tangled up in her white plastic chair that she sits in to clean the corn.  "I told that Dale (her son in law) that those calves was a gettin' out and he'd better get himself a gate put in ther befor they left for their cruise."  She said, "Well, he didn't a listen to me and that dang calf got out - got my corn cleanin' chair stuck on top of his silly head and ran back off into the pasture.  When I got home, he had the whole dang herd of cows runnin' from one side of the 120 acres to the tother.  Those cows was a runnin' and that dang calf was a chasin' them, back and a forth they went."  Dale got home a little while later and Nadine got onto him and he jumped his 4-wheeler and headed out the pasture.  Nadine says, "He was chasing that dang calf, the calf was chasin' those silly cows and nobody could catch anybody."  She said, "Dale finally got that dang calf pushed up to the house and corralled it and took my corn cleanin' chair off his fat head.  The chair was a fine and that calf was madder than hell." 

Well, today, the cows and calves are in the pasture and the corn cleanin' chair is back where it belongs.  I am scheduled to pick cucumbers with Nadine tomorrow mornin' and I will bring home a bag full so I can make some of my bread and butter pickles. 

I will get a picture of Nadine tomorrow and include it in my blog in the next few days. 

FARMER'S HOME REMEDY:  Don't keep your corn' cleanin' chair near the pasture.

No recipe today!
Thanks for visiting and hope you enjoyed the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment