Friday, July 22, 2011

A Day In The LIfe Of.........July 22, 2011

Well it is still hot - this is an extremely hot summer as predicted by the Farmer's Almanac.  I am starting to get some tomatoes - picked 4 today plus 1 zucchini.  The green peppers are on the bush but not ready for picken'.  My tomato plants are starting to do well and no more trouble with cutworms and there is lots of bird poop on the plants - the reason for no cutworms.  That discovery was made this year as I had only caged 4 of the plants and still had 4 to go.  The plants that were uncaged struggled with being devastated by cut worms.  The cages are 4x4 hog wire - 4 ft wide.  I cut a 5 ft section and join the cut ends so it forms a tall cylinder and place it over the tomatoes.  The birds come and sit on the wire and eat my cutworms. 

I started this blog as just a fluke because I am always telling funny stories about things that happen to me and people that have come in and out of my life.  Many folks have always told me I should write a book.  Well,  I have never thought I could do a book but decided to write my stories down so they could be passed on to my grandsons, Caelan and Vincent.  They have not been in my live since they were 18 months.  I have recently been allowed to reconnect with them on a limited basis as their mother is a difficult person and has many issues with me which are still undetermined.  I'm just a country girl that lives a fun and adventurous life.  She is very different and not approving.  Nuff said.

I wanted the boys (twins) to know who their grandmother is or was.  I wanted to share my stories, my thoughts, my adventures with them so they didn't have to rely on someone else's opinion whether it be good or bad.  I recently got to see them, now at the age of 11 yrs old.  They are both so beautiful, such different personalities and such strangers. 

Recently I spent two days with them and their father, my son.  We had a very good time but it was like spending some time with two little shy strangers. They didn't know me and kept their distance.  I expected that and just wanted to watch them, study them and get to know them.  It is very difficult to no know your grand babies.  I had all the expectations of any new grandparent.  I had such plans for adventures and fun things to do with them.  I was not blessed with that gift.  Soooo here I am blogging which will eventually be put in book form for my grand babies. 

That is it for today - got to get back to "junk on the bunk" upstairs.


FARMER'S HOME REMEDIES:
Out of WD40? Need to fix a squeaky hinge?  Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone.

COUNTRY RECIPE:
You guessed it - Yellow squash
Slice it lengthwise, coat it with olive oil, seasonings and place, face down on BBQ.  So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment